My Blog List

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chocolate Valentino Cake - Daring Bakers






The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef.We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.








The Valentino Cake - mine was dry and tasted of heavy baking chocolate - good, expensive baking chocolate but not smooth and creamy. I am sure I overwhipped the egg whites and let it bake for too long. I decided to make the best of it so cut the Valentino's heart out. Now I have a neat looking upside-down chocky heart on a plate, with dollops of icecream and fresh strawberries. I'm not sure if I'll use this recipe again; I am not very fond of flourless cakes, but it was fun to try though.

The Icecream - delicious. I used Wendy's icecream recipe in my new Cuisinart Icecream Maker - it was a breeze to make and froze beautifully in my freezer after mixing. It was so fresh and natural. I can see all sorts of delicious icecreams coming out of that Cuisinart now. What a wonderful opportunity to buy an icecream maker.

Thank you Dharm and Wendy for this great challenge.

I'm posting the recipe for Wendy's icecream:

Wendy's Ice Cream RecipeVanilla Philadelphia Style Recipe
Preparation Time: 5 minutes

2 cups (473 ml) of half and half (1 cup of heavy cream and 1 cup of whole, full fat milk)1 cup (237 ml) heavy cream2/3 (128 grams) cup sugarDash of salt1 (12 grams) tablespoon of vanillaMix all ingredients together (we do this in a plastic pitcher and mix with an emulsifier hand blender-whisking works too).Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longerMix in your ice cream maker as directed.