My Blog List

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Battenberg Cake - Daring Bakers' June Challenge


Mandy of What The Fruitcake?! came to our rescue last minute to present us with the Battenberg Cake challenge! She highlighted Mary Berry’s techniques and recipes to allow us to create this unique little cake with ease.

This is a marvellous cake! I could not resist having 2 slices and most of my group at work absolutely loved it.

I used the traditional pink and yellow coloring with marzipan covering. I also used a Battenberg Cake pan that I bought at Fantes. It is an Alan Silverwood pan made in Britain and I just love it. I now have ideas of making petit four logs using this pan and, of course, a chocolate and pistachio Battenberg combination for the Holiday season this year.

For criss-cross impressions on top I used a cookie cooling tray; they show up ever so slighty on the right side of my picture.

Absolutely a make-again treat!