My Blog List

Monday, February 21, 2011

Toasted Almond Scones - Tuesdays with Dorie




Mike of Good Living Out West chose Toasted Almond Scones for this week. I took them to my group at work and was delighted, of course, that my boss really liked them. He said they were great for early in the morning and had quite a few. The people who like the fancier goodies - frosted cakes, tartlets, and so on, didn't really say much. So each to his or her own.



I thought they were quite nice but found them a bit dry; when I blitzed a scone in the microwave for 10 seconds it came out moist and delicious. I suppose scones and biscuit types should really be served warm and as soon as possible after baking.

I have never made scones before; for some reason there seems to be something mysterious about them, they require special handling, hidden talent and have baking secrets that I have not unlocked - my Yorkshire grandmother made the most perfect scones - quite small, with a nice light brown crust, and with lots of butter on them; I can taste them now. I think my hesitation was that I would not be able to make scones like Grannie's. So maybe my Toasted Almond scones are a good start and it will be onward and upward to more scone making.

The recipe is on Mike's blog. here