My Blog List

Monday, July 11, 2011

Cookies for Our Troops



This weekend I made about 60 Oatmeal Raisin cookies to send overseas to our troops. I belong to the "Operation Baking GALS" group which has been sending packages overseas for well over two years now.

How it works is you are given some information on the baking teams that are entering, and a brief bio. on the troops you will be baking for. You select a team and then get busy. This month I chose to make the Oatmeal Raisin cookies from the recipe off the top of the the Quaker Oats box - quite frankly I have a soft spot for "back of the box" recipes, probably because they are often so darned good. My package will be going to a group of guys and gals fighting for us in Afghanistan.

I have a tremendous admiration for our military and am deeply grateful to them.

I also got some munchies at Duane Reade to send as well as the cookies - cheese popcorn, lifesavers, Werther's candy and so on. I'll probably do another mailing in September.

(I see little Phoebe has got herself into the picture, my little baby darling Angora whom I rescued from a shelter - she's a real little French princess.)