My Blog List

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Book Winner and Rosy Poached Pear and Pistachio Tart - Tuesdays with Dorie

First for the winner of I Heart Macarons from my previous blog:
We used the time-honored numbered paper slips in a box method at work and the winner is:

No. 6. Flourchild. Congratulations! "I Heart Macarons" will be on its way - just e-mail me your mailing details to Heatherpeskin@yahoo.com.

And now for the Tart. Lauren of I'll Eat You picked this very pretty pear and pistachio tart. It's fabulous - a quadruple D:

The pistachio cream - DELICIOUS
The pastry - DELICIOUS
The poached pears in Shiraz - DELICIOUS
The caramelized pistachious - DELICIOUS

At this rate I think it's going to be a wow with my "Taste Testers."

I made one dozen 4-inch tartlets from Dorie's pate sucre recipe, adding half as much again of the quantities as I know from experience that the tartlets take quite a lot of pastry. I also used one stick of butter and 4.5 TBS. of solid Crisco - the rest of my butter had been used in baking Thanksgiving goodies. The combo. seems to be rather nice although if I'd had the butter I would have used it.

I had better get to work before I start sampling the treats!