My Blog List

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Coconut Custard Tart - Tuesdays with Dorie


Another wonderful Dorie recipe.

I halved the quantities to make just a 7" in diameter tart, then some mini tart shells for lemon curd. The 7" tart took about 15 minutes blind-baked and another 5 openly baked, at 375 degrees. It's a good size for a small group; we had a couple of pieces left at the end of the day and they went quickly at the last minute.
I had a bit of a problem with the consistency of the custard - it was quite rubbery; maybe it needed less cornstarch or it should have been whisked in a double boiler once it had reached boiling in the pan. I just mixed about 1/4 cup of whipped cream in it before serving, to make it a bit softer.

Make again, make again, and then again. I think it will be one of my dessert items for the Annunciation Day reception feast coming up at my Church, maybe in puff pastry vol-au-vents! Umm!

Beryl of Cinemon Girl picked this one for us - thank you, Beryl; an excellent choice.