My Blog List

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lemon Cup Custard - Tuesdays with Dorie


I came sulking and pouting to this recipe, swearing I would make something else (I will for my Office but only because the custard is not portable - that is, it's not going on the A train, or any other train for that matter!). But now I am a convert -I made the custard and it's delicate and delicious and definitely on my 'make again' list.

I halved the recipe ingredients, except for the lemon zest, and added a couple of drops of lemon essence. It took longer to bake than Dorie said, about 50 minutes! But finally, two red hearts of lemon custard and one round Pyrex dish came out of the bain marie. It was plenty lemony enough but that must be because of the double lemon zest. Not surprisingly, there is only one red heart left, waiting for it's daylight photo opportunity. I've just eaten the other two cups.

I've made a rich stove top custard from scratch before, when preparing a Sherry Trifle (favorite pudding dessert), but this fine baked custard has got class, oh, my it's got class! I think it would be nice served with something else light, maybe some fresh fruit dusted with caster sugar or confectioners' sugar.

Many thanks to Bridget of The Way the Cookie Crumbles for this delightful pick. The recipe is on Bridget's blog.