My Blog List

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Banana Cream Tartlets - Tuesdays with Dorie


Here is a picture of a broken tartlet. I promise, the other 16 are still okay and are going to the Office tomorrow - this one crumbled when I started to fill it. Another delicious Dorie recipe - the pastry is great and the custard and cream heavenly. I am not going to put the banana in the rest of the tarts - it has a very overpowering flavor to my taste. I like bananas, but for tarts I think I would rather choose another filling, maybe peaches.

As has happened before with this dough, there was some shrinkage, but very little - I refrigerated them for about 30 minutes before popping them in the oven and placed some small tartlet pans over the base so the dough wouldn't puff up.

Quite a tricky recipe, what with custard making and pouring, dough rolling and peeking in the oven a lot, but it was well worth the time and effort. My thanks go to Amy, of Sing for Your Supper for a really great pick.

Next week - an Amaretti torte.