My Blog List

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fresh Peach Blanc-Manger - Tuesdays with Dorie



I've been using raspberries and raspberry jam in quite a number of baked goods lately so I decided to go for fresh California peaches for this week's Blanc-Manger. It's in the fridge right now; tomorrow morning will show if it has set properly. I used only half the ingredients and a six-inch cheesecake pan with a removable base.

I must compile a list converting cups to ozs. and ozs. to grams, etc. - it's very tricky trying to get an exact amount of half quantities from fractions seeing my scale doesn't weigh that finely. I must say I didn't particularly enjoy making the blanc-manger, probably because I was doing battle with the estimated quantities. I ground almonds in the coffee grinder and the first lot came out like paste; then I added a few shakes of flour to the next lot and it seemed okay. Then the gelatin turned into a blob so I had to heat it again. It seems the blanc-manger has a tight time frame and I was lagging a bit behind.

It set nicely and I couldn't wait to get home to photograph and taste. I must say I'm a bit disappointed in the taste - it looks quite attractive but the texture was slightly rubbery and the taste very bland.

When I was a child I used to be given a treat every now and then of a blancmange in the shape of a pale pink rabbit - it was a cornstarch and milk and sugar mix with a drop of cochineal added. Perhaps I am still in love with the pale pink rabbit - it looked so pretty.

I haven't given up on blanc-manger; maybe I mixed it too hard with a fork; perhaps a flavoring essence like lemon would give it more of a kick. But it's such a good feeling to get my TWD recipe done and to learn something as I always do. Thank you, Susan, of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy for this nice pick.