My Blog List

Monday, July 27, 2009

Vanilla Ice Cream - Tuesdays with Dorie



It's all gone - I ate this for a treat after supper tonight. It has a delicious, rich, creamy, custardy flavor and texture. I am pleased I persevered with it as the egg custard gave me quite a bit of trouble at first.

I had to make it twice as the first time the custard curdled and made scrambled eggs - unfortunately not the first time I have had this problem - I tried to make a Bavarian cream over the weekend and that also turned to scrambled eggs! I'm still not happy with my egg custard making; it didn't actually make ice cream curd in the Ice Cream Maker; it was still liquid after 30 minutes of churning. I put it in the freezer and after a couple of hours it set enough for its photo shoot and then dessert. I got some good advice on the P&Q to use a heavy-bottomed pan (which I don't have yet) and to cook it on a very low flame, also to use a double boiler.

I suppose practice makes perfect. But in spite of my frustration with the custard making I just loved this ice cream; it is so natural, no additives and really home-made tasting.

Thank you, Lynne, of Cafe Lynnylu for this lovely summer pick.